Just got back from a weekend in the mountains of NYS. Weather is cooling off and it looks like the farmers are tending to the last of their harvest. Get those homegrown tomatoes and corn before it’s too late! Here I am at a local farmstand buying my local organic greens to incorporate into my soups and stew this week.
This dish is a Freebird chicken stew with whole grains, kale, green beans, mushrooms, herbs. Braised with white wine and chicken broth and topped with almonds for crunch.
1 pound Freebird or similar no antibiotic , free range boneless chicken thighs
1/2 sweet onion-vidalia or similar
2 cloves crushed chopped garlic
1-2 organic carrots sliced
1/2 box white mushrooms sliced
small bunch of cleaned and trimmed organic kale-chopped small
1/2 pound or so of green beans
1-2 teaspoons ‘Herbs du Provence’
A mix of whole grains of your choice cooked separately in a small saucepan
A cup or less of low sodium organic chicken broth
1/2 cup of dry white wine.
Dusting of flour.
Cut up some green and yellow squash and tomato
About a tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
A handful of slivered almonds
1. Cut thighs into small pieces, into a paper plate dust them on both sides with a light coating of flour
2. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin o.o. to a saute /stew pan (wide , not too deep pot).
To the pan infuse oil with a sprig or 2 of fresh thyme if you have, then take out after a few minutes.
3. Saute the chicken with the herbs du provence in the oil until lightly browned on both sides, turning after a few minutes. When you see it’s lightly brown, add the onions, garlic, carrots and slowly add the broth and wine and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and turn the heat to medium low. Add a splash of a great aged balsamic vinegar . Let this cook gently or ‘braise’ about 10 minutes. Add the squash and tomatoes and stir in. This cooks quickly , like a few minutes.
4. Add a spring of rosemary to the pot. Later remove all herb sprigs. The rosemary and thyme are optional.
5. In separate small saucepan make the grain of choice, this usually takes about 20 minutes, the same amount of time it takes to make this dish approx. So start this on the stove right before you do the stew. I cook my grains with either veggie or chicken broth (low salt organic) for flavor. After simmering for about 10 minutes I throw in the rest of the veggies to this pot. And add the almonds. The kale got stirred in along with the string beans. Cook another 10 minutes covered on low till grains absorb the liquid and are done. I don’t use butter but I will stir in a bit of evoo.
Serve. This will feed 2 or more.